General Information & Services
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /var/www/vhosts/dev.fastspot.com/httpdocs/clients/bowie/templates/basic/content.php on line 15
WHO CAN USE THE WELLNESS CENTER?
All full-time or part-time undergraduate and graduate students, residential or commuter
Signed parental consent must be on file if under 18 years of age. Emergency and reproductive health services are exceptions.
Medical services are provided at no additional cost except some miscellaneous charges, such as: Sports Physicals-$35; Pregnancy tests-$5; Rapid Strep tests-$4.
Payment is expected at time of service for physicals. You may pay for physical exams/at the Cashier’s Office located in the Henry Admin. Building and bring the receipt to your appointment.
HENRY WISE WELLNESS CENTER SERVICES
The health center is an ambulatory facility, much like a doctor's office or small clinic, treating routine illnesses and minor injuries. Please call 301-860-4170 for an appointment.
MEDICAL ABSENCE EXCUSES
Medical excuses are provided at the discretion of the clinical staff. The student is responsible for meeting each instructor's requirements regarding class attendance.
Missing class due to a routine illness such as a cold should be discussed with your faculty member. Medical excuses are not given for these types of illness or due to appointments with the health center that could have been scheduled at other times.
Make your appointment for a time that does not conflict with your classes.
Under no circumstances will we verify illness or absence for anyone not treated by Wellness staff.
WHAT TO DO IF...
- You are ill or injured away from campus and cannot return for several days
Notify the director of Henry Wise Wellness Center at 301-860-4170.
- You are sent to the hospital by ambulance
You must make arrangements for your own transportation after your release.
- You are concerned that someone may injure himself or others
Call Campus Police at 301-860-4040.
- You are depressed or anxious
Call the Counseling Center at 301-860-4160.
- You have a question or concern that cannot be resolved by the Wellness Center or Counseling Center staff
Contact Ms. Thomasina Boardley, Assistant to the VP for Student Affairs at 301-860-3394
- All medical records are confidential.
- Access to information is limited to authorized Wellness Center personnel, unless you give written consent or upon receipt of court-ordered subpoena (this policy is in accordance with The Family Rights and Privacy Act). Click here for medical records release form.
- Medical records are destroyed seven years post-graduation and/or withdrawal.
- All students are strongly advised to have a health history/immunization record from their physician on file at the Wellness Center.
- No insurance billing is done by the Wellness Center.
- We recommend that you get some form of insurance coverage in the event you need hospitalization, surgery, complicated diagnostic procedures, or medications not carried by the Wellness Center.
- Check to see if you are covered by your family's policy.
- Please let us know your insurance requirements before we order any diagnostic tests or prescription medications.
International Students- http://www.isoa.org
For more information on Maryland State Exchange, visit www.marylandhealthconnection.gov
To view the PDF documents on this page, download the free Adobe Acrobat reader by clicking here.